WISErg Corporation (WISErg), is a Redmond, WA based fertilizer products Company established in 2010. It has developed and commercially distributes fertilizer products in the Western United States and Mexico. The Company’s manufacturing process combines biological science, mechanical engineering and software engineering into a solution that converts landfill-bound food waste into a highly productive fertilizer approved for use in organic and conventional crops. The food waste is captured at grocery stores by a WISErg Harvester where it is processed into an odor and pest-free liquid. This liquid is transported to a WISErg production facility, where it goes through an enclosed biological, patent-protected process and is turned into organic fertilizer.
Commercial growers use the Company’s products to improve production yields, reduce handling and labor costs, and improve soil health. The Company is in the second year of commercial sales and has an aggressive domestic and international growth strategy.
The role of the production supervisor is to safely and effectively manage the daily plant operations to ensure maximum production of quality products in accordance with corporate goals and objectives utilizing continuous improvement practices and lean initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Duties include but are not limited to the following: (Management reserves the right to add or modify the duties and responsibilities at any time.)
- • Develops, implements, and enforces policies and procedures related to plant operations.
- • Directs and approves purchasing of appropriate materials/supplies in a timely manner to meet customer and/or company objectives.
- • Reviews and establishes production schedules to establish appropriate inventory levels based on sales forecasts.
- • Ensures production equipment/machinery is properly maintained, repaired, or replaced as necessary to maintain smooth daily plant operations.
- • Coordinates adequate resources to achieve product quality objectives.
- • Supports the development, implementation, and maintenance of safety programs, promotes a workplace safety culture which includes conducting regular scheduled safety training and safety committee support.
- • Collects and analyzes data to improve the efficiency of the facility.
- • Ensures adherence to all established company policies and procedures through specialized training of supervisors (OSHA 10 or OSHA 30 as an example)
- • Conducts annual performance appraisals with all direct reports. Provides coaching and guidance as needed.
- • Works directly with corporate R&D on all improvement projects and new product launches. Fosters open communication and collaboration.
- • Works closely with the Quality team to review product consistency and with the Engineering team to implement and optimize new production processes.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Specific knowledge and first-hand experience with industrial production processes in an edible or non-edible food processing plant.
- Willingness and ability to perform production operator duties performed by subordinates on an as needed basis.
- Ability to monitor the production processes, make necessary adjustments in scheduling and/or improve production methods/techniques to achieve company goals.
- Knowledge and ability to implement and ensure adherence to OSHA and all safety techniques and procedures related to plant operations.
- Knowledge and ability to analyze, forecast, plan and report status of production objectives and goals.
- Ability to hire, train and evaluate personnel ensuring a competent work force to meet production objectives in a cost-effective manner. This will include goal setting and measurement of performance.
- Ability to develop and implement standard policies and procedures to maintain consistent daily plant operations, including SOP’s.
- Ability to effectively interact and manage plant personnel.
- Ability to effectively communicate with corporate office management, contractors, vendors, suppliers, and other business-related contacts.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality related to all duties and responsibilities, such as production goals and personnel information.
- Ability to perform basic and complex mathematical calculations.
- Knowledge of organizational methods and the ability to manage multiple tasks/projects simultaneously.
- Ability to remain calm and professional at all times.
- Ability to work daily and extended hours as necessary.
- Formal knowledge in Continuous Improvement/Lean Manufacturing preferred. Previous experience/best practices implementing and using continuous improvement tools to drive improvement in all plant KPI’s.
Education and Experience
- AS/BS/BA in Biological Sciences, Physical Sciences, Process Engineering, Food Science or an equivalent combination of college education with a focus in science and related work experience.
- HACCP Certification a plus
- Forklift experience a plus