WISErg Corporation (WISErg), is a Redmond, WA based fertilizer products Company established in 2010. It has developed and commercially distributes fertilizer products in the Western United States and Mexico. The Company’s manufacturing process combines biological science, mechanical engineering and software engineering into a solution that converts landfill-bound food waste into a highly productive fertilizer approved for use in organic and conventional crops. The food waste is captured at grocery stores by a WISErg Harvester where it is processed into an odor and pest-free liquid. This liquid is transported to a WISErg production facility, where it goes through an enclosed biological, patent-protected process and is turned into organic fertilizer.
Commercial growers use the Company’s products to improve production yields, reduce handling and labor costs, and improve soil health. The Company is entering its third year of commercial sales and has an aggressive domestic and international growth strategy. Job Summary The VP of Science and Innovation reports into the CEO and owns WISErg’s science and technology vision, strategy, and execution. He or she is a member of the executive team and is responsible for aligning science and innovation initiatives within the Company’s broader corporate, growth, and financial goals. The successful candidate is the Company’s face and voice of science and technology to external audiences and key influencers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Duties include but are not limited to the following: (Management reserves the right to add or modify the duties and responsibilities at any time.)
• Design, build and execute new product research and strategies, seeking ways to expand existing portfolio and market reach.
• Identify and monitor trends in new technologies and generate impactful product research and concepts that incorporate new innovations developed with return on investment and market valuation analyses.
• Utilize industry and discipline knowledge to bring innovative solutions and approaches to the product pipeline, processes, and team.
• Serve as the science and innovation leader for the Company. Lead and support product positioning discussions. Prepare and deliver industry, academic, partner, and customer presentations as related to WISErg’s research investments.
• Help develop WISErg’s product roadmap.
• Lead WISErg’s intellectual property strategy. Document scientific processes, formulas and technologies. Develop and execute forward-looking IP strategy and patents. Direct efforts of the Company’s outside IP counsel. Familiarity of US and Global patent foiling processes.
• Manage internal and external research and development activities, constantly evaluating for quality, effectiveness, and relevance to the Company’s business objectives.
• Develop and implement field trial protocols, supervise trial activity and data presentation, work closely to develop presentation materials, and communicate data to both internal and external stakeholders.
• Ensure the Company’s compliance with rules and regulations in effect and enforced by various jurisdictions and governing bodies.
• Lead, inspire, and create a culture of innovation within the Science and Innovation team and the broader Company.
• Support development of new international markets. Requirements
Education and Experience
• Master’s degree required and/or doctorate degree preferred in agricultural, biological or chemical sciences.
• Minimum of ten years relevant industry experience with a proven record of leading innovative product concepts and successful product deployments.
• Five or more years of industry-experience with agrochemical or food formulation development.
• Experienced in developing business cases and economic models that support research development and engineering activities, capital investments, and timelines.
• Demonstrated leadership in building and managing cross-functional teams of researchers and scientists.
• Excellent technical writing skills, and ability to produce clear and compelling reports and presentations for internal and external stakeholders.
• Travel – as required for meetings and conferences.
• Excel in a startup culture and be comfortable with rapid iterations of innovation and experimentation
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
PC proficient. Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft applications.
Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; demonstrates group presentation skills. Written Communication Writes clearly and informatively; varies writing style to meet client needs; able to read and interpret written information.
Provides vision and inspiration. Builds commitment and overcomes resistance.
Prioritizes and plans work activities effectively; uses time efficiently; maintains positive and professional office setting for employees and visitors.
Follows instructions, responds to management direction; keeps commitments; commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals; completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Superior ability to extract data from systems to write reports, business correspondences and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.